Director, Area Health Education Center at Mason, Nursing
Building: Peterson Hall
Ms. Karen Brown is the Director for the Northern Virginia Area Health Education Center (AHEC) at George Mason. Prior to her role at George Mason, Ms. Brown worked for the Texas AHEC East – Waco Regional Center for nearly five years; three of them as Center Director. Ms. Brown has over a decade experience in community and public health, working for regional teen tobacco prevention programs in eastern North Carolina, in addition to her years as a program coordinator and director with Texas AHEC. She has previously served on the Board of Directors for the Texas Rural Health Association, Texas Society for Public Health Education, and has worked with community driven initiates with a focus on access to care.
- National AHEC Organization Member
- Board of Directors, Texas Rural Health Association, 2015 to 2018
- Board of Director, Texas Society of Public Health Educators, 2016 to 2018
- MEd, Health Education & Promotion, East Carolina University
- BA, Physical Education, K-12 Teaching Certificate, University of North Carolina Wilmington